It’s hard to believe for the average person, but the key to being lean and shredded is making sure that you’re eating, eating clean and eating often. While I always hear a variety of reasons for not eating often enough or healthy enough, the two main reasons are always: Time and Cost. I don’t have the time to cook or it costs too much money to eat healthy. Rather than just arguing with people about their scheduling and commitment, I figured I’d just share a solution. The following is my breakfast almost everyday, and my go to meal in the afternoon or evening if I’m hungry or just running short on time.
Huevos Fresco or Egg Scramble
- 1 lb ground turkey – $5
- 1 Carton eggs – $2.50
- 1 bunch of spinach – $4
- 1 carton cherry tomatos – $2.50
- 1 onion – $1
- spices are at your own discretion
Total = $15 and will provide at least 5 meals maybe 6
Prep: 20 minutes
The key to this meal is prepping your ground turkey mix on Sunday evening so that you have it for the week. You can make this process more formal and gourmet, but I’m simply showing you the fast easy way to prep the meat. I promise anyone can do it, and it’s ridiculously easy. Also, I like spice, so I season my meat accordingly, however just sticking with a little salt and pepper is totally fine.
- Take your onion and cut it in half – save the one half and dice up the remaining half
- Turn the stove on medium/medium low
- Take a little olive oil and put it in the middle of the pan
- Toss the onions into the pan and let them cook for 5 – 7 minutes
- When the onions are ready, pour them into a bowl and put them on the side.
- Now turn the heat up slightly to medium/medium high
- Add your ground turkey (all of it) to the pan
- Break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon while spicing (I use a little salt, black pepper, chili powder, Siracha, and red pepper)
- After about 5 minutes, as the meat begins to brown, add back in your onions.
- Cook the meat and onions together while subtly breaking and flipping the meat
- Because it’s turkey and not ground beef you need to cook the meat all the way through
- After about 12-15 minutes total cook time the meat should be done
- Pour the meat into a tupperware container, put it in the fridge and you’re ready for the week.
Preparing your $3 Meal!
- Put a non stick pan on the stove on medium low
- Take 2 eggs and beat them until completely mixed
- Take 3-4 cherry tomatoes and cut them into quarters
- Take a small handful of spinach and chop it up a bit
- Take half a cup of your ground turkey mix from your fridge and have it out on the counter
- Pour your eggs into the pan and let them sit over the low heat for about 30-45 seconds
- Then add your ingredients (tomatoes, spinach, and ground turkey mix) to the pan
- Immediately begin scrambling the mix in the pan, letting it sit for 10-15 seconds, and then continuing to push it and fold it
- After 3-5 minutes (tops) the food should be done
- Pour it into a bowl and spice if you want (I add a little fresh black pepper) and there you go
This dish is almost zero carb, low in fat, high in protein, rather flavorful (especially if you spice the meat when prepping) and really easy to make. If you’re really fiending for some added flavor you can add cheese to the mix or use ketchup as a condiment. However, I really try and avoid using ketchup because it’s really high in sugar. The ingredients listed above, which cost only $15, should get you at least 5 meals and remove any excuses for not eating healthy! Enjoy